Are you a young Malaysian that desires to travel to other countries while offsetting your travel costs? Here, we’re able to help you with that through working holiday visa programmes that are available in Australia and New Zealand. This is a good opportunity for young Malaysians aged 18 to 30 to experience another culture while earning some money to cover the travel costs. This is the perfect platform for you to get to know people from a different background while earning job experience in a foreign country.
Australia Working Holiday Visa
The Australian working holiday visa allows you to:
- stay in Australia for up to 12 months
- work in Australia, generally for up to six months with each employer
- study for up to four months
- leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid.
There are a few types of work-holiday visa sub classes, depending on your skills and reasons for applying and we’ll help you with identifying the sub-classes before applying. The Australian High Commission in Kuala Lumpur processes the visa applications for those holding Malaysian passports and grants only 250 visas a year. Thus, space is limited so hurry up and apply now!
Eligibility in application, based on the Australian High Commission Malaysia website, is as the below (for further requirement, please visit the official website);
- are aged 18 to 30 years (inclusive) on the date you apply;
- hold a valid Malaysian passport;
- have a Malaysian Certificate of Good Conduct, which has been issued no more than 12 months ago*;
- have not previously held a Working Holiday (417) or Work and Holiday (462) visa;
- have functional English; and
- hold a degree, or have successfully completed at least two years of undergraduate university study.
Cost for the visa is A$440, which is equivalent to about MYR1,248. In addition to the base charge, Malaysians will need to pay a VFS Service Fee for all visa applications lodged and biometrics collected at the visa application centre. Thus, the overall costs may hike up to over MYR1500.
Some of the common jobs for the work and travel holiday are hotel concierge/helper, retail worker, barista, bartender, office work and regional work such as crop-picking. Depending on your preference, we’ll make arrangements for your work and visa application.
New Zealand Working Holiday Visa
The New Zealand working holiday visa allows you to:
- stay in New Zealand for up to 6 months
- work in New Zealand, generally for up to six months
- study for up to six months
The New Zealand immigration grants only 1150 visas a year to Malaysians. Thus, space is limited so hurry up and apply now!
Eligibility in application, based on the New Zealand immigration website, is as the below (for further requirement, please visit the official website);
- You must be a citizen of Malaysia.
- You must provide proof of identity.
- You must be in good health.
- You must be of good character.
- You must be between 18 to 30 years old.
- You must have at least NZ2,250 (RM 6,170) to live on during the stay.
- You cannot accept a permanent job while in New Zealand.
- You must only do legal work.
- Children cannot accompany the visa holder.
- A separate visa is required for partners of visa holders.
- You must come to New Zealand within 12 months of the date your visa is granted.
- You must leave New Zealand before the visa expires.
Cost for the visa is NZ$208, which is equivalent to about MYR570. Application for this visa may only be done online, and may take up to 21 days to be processed.
Some of the common jobs for the work and travel holiday are horticulture which involves orchard and vineyard work, farm work, hostel work, retail work, hospitality and tourism. This is a great chance for you to try something new while travelling.